Thursday, July 30, 2009
If you like maps, geography, have good design sense and are really sharp with computers ... consider taking our GIS classes and maybe one day becoming a cartographer.
GeoServer (plus documentation)
GeoServer Data Importer (an automated shapefile importer)
GeoExplorer (plus documentation)
Getting Started Guide
Currently the installer is only for Windows but they have a lot of future plans for expanding this program.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
- support for the iPhone
- connecting to spatial data types in RDBMS's without ArcSDE
- continuing to support the world of desktop GIS
GIS SpecialistReply to:
Date: 2009-06-25, 5:42PM
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) www.imsg.com is currently looking to hire a GIS Specialist to perform a variety of GIS related duties for the NOAA National Climate Data Center (NCDC) located in Asheville, North Carolina. All work will be performed onsite at NCDC under the technical supervision of the NCDC GIS Services team leader and technical leader. This contract is funded by NCDC and through the NOS Coastal Services Center. This position is classified as a term position (12 months from date of hire) with renewal contingent upon availability of funds.
• Improve performance and enhance existing GIS map services.
• Management of production and development ArcSDE and ArcGIS servers.
• Development and maintenance of geospatial databases on an Oracle database server.
• System design and map service additions, such as:
1. Support and development for the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) services
2. Support and development for the NOAA Climate Services Portal
3. Development for NCDC Climate Monitoring Branch products
4. Add GIS services for satellite and climate model data
5. Add GIS services for new in-situ based datasets and products
• Support development and production instances of GIS Portal Toolkit and other GIS metadata portal systems.
• Implement time components to OGC services as functionally supported. Ensure that NCDC datasets are presented in OGC formats.
• Enhance and extend existing and new GIS products, such as:
1. Develop interactive maps which support climate assessment goals, e.g., color-coded maps based on observations from monthly and daily summary data
2. Selection of station locations to be displayed based on inventory of the data (or color-coded based on data availability)—e.g, min of 5, 10, 20, etc years of data; only display stations with data for the current year; etc.
3. Color coding of station locations based on data sources available (e.g., daily-only vs. daily and hourly vs. daily, hourly, and upper air data).
4. Set filters such as elevation--e.g., stations above xx elevation or below xx elevation; or filter based on query of data--e.g., precipitation above xx value.
• Integration of additional dynamic display features, such as display 2D or 3D contour maps of data, display 2D or 3D plots of data, overlays of data from two or more data sets and flex and Flash-based software utilization.
• ESRI ArcGIS and related software experience required
• Geospatial database experience required, with Oracle experience desired
• GIS Services development experience in a World Wide Web environment, required
• Unix and/or Linux experience required
• ESRI Geoportal Toolkit experience desired
• Flex software experience desired
• Flash software experience would be a plus
(Please Note: Required experience indicates a minimum of 3 years experience in that area, with greater than 5 years being desired).
Please send your resume, contact information for three (3) references and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com with the following subject heading: NCDC09001 – GIS Specialist.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Location: Asheville
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.