Thursday, December 17, 2009
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Thursday, December 3, 2009
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Time: Following MRGAC Meeting
Location: AB-Tech Computer Lab / Main Campus - Balsam 108
Cost: $95 for member $145 for non-members (registration fee will support the Carol Paxton BCT Student Scholarship Fund)
This course will be a one day mix of lecture, presentation, and hands-on exercises in the creation and basic management of SQL Server-based ArcSDE Geodatabases. An introduction to SQL Server databases will be provided, focusing on the SQL Server 2008 model. ArcSDE Technology will be introduced and basic concepts explored.
Additional lecture and exercises will cover the following topics:
- How to create ArcSDE geodatabases.
- The ArcSDE Repository “Under the Hood” - how SQL and SDE work together to manage geographic data sets.
- Creating and Loading Data (vector and raster).
- Managing users – how to create logins and grant access to data sets.
- Versioning – how it works and how to manage correctly.
- Replication – how it works and how to use correctly.
- Managing spatial and attribute indexes.
- Tuning the geodatabase.
- Best practices for managing ArcSDE databases.
- Advanced topics (time permitting).
Student questions will be welcomed and other related topics can be explored as time permits. As designed, the workshop will be conducted using SQL Server Express and Personal SDE licensing. While these types of databases do differ from full-blown
Registration: Contact Kathryn
Friday, November 20, 2009
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Much like the world of easy mapping Google has been dominating for years except the ESRI option allows turning on specific data sets like census information.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
This semester we are offering the following classes:
GIS 111 Introduction to GIS - the following sections are available:
- Section WN1 - Thursday nights from 6pm - 9:50pm
- Section WD1 - Friday mornings from 8am - 11:50am
- Section O1 - online - no meeting times
GIS 215 - GIS Data Models - offered on M/W 8am - 9:50am (prereq of GIS 111)
Get started with GIS 111 this semester and you can finish the certificate in the spring semster.
Please share this information with anyone that may be interested and have them contact me with questions or to sign up.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
If you like maps, geography, have good design sense and are really sharp with computers ... consider taking our GIS classes and maybe one day becoming a cartographer.
GeoServer (plus documentation)
GeoServer Data Importer (an automated shapefile importer)
GeoExplorer (plus documentation)
Getting Started Guide
Currently the installer is only for Windows but they have a lot of future plans for expanding this program.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
- support for the iPhone
- connecting to spatial data types in RDBMS's without ArcSDE
- continuing to support the world of desktop GIS
GIS SpecialistReply to:
Date: 2009-06-25, 5:42PM
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG) www.imsg.com is currently looking to hire a GIS Specialist to perform a variety of GIS related duties for the NOAA National Climate Data Center (NCDC) located in Asheville, North Carolina. All work will be performed onsite at NCDC under the technical supervision of the NCDC GIS Services team leader and technical leader. This contract is funded by NCDC and through the NOS Coastal Services Center. This position is classified as a term position (12 months from date of hire) with renewal contingent upon availability of funds.
• Improve performance and enhance existing GIS map services.
• Management of production and development ArcSDE and ArcGIS servers.
• Development and maintenance of geospatial databases on an Oracle database server.
• System design and map service additions, such as:
1. Support and development for the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) services
2. Support and development for the NOAA Climate Services Portal
3. Development for NCDC Climate Monitoring Branch products
4. Add GIS services for satellite and climate model data
5. Add GIS services for new in-situ based datasets and products
• Support development and production instances of GIS Portal Toolkit and other GIS metadata portal systems.
• Implement time components to OGC services as functionally supported. Ensure that NCDC datasets are presented in OGC formats.
• Enhance and extend existing and new GIS products, such as:
1. Develop interactive maps which support climate assessment goals, e.g., color-coded maps based on observations from monthly and daily summary data
2. Selection of station locations to be displayed based on inventory of the data (or color-coded based on data availability)—e.g, min of 5, 10, 20, etc years of data; only display stations with data for the current year; etc.
3. Color coding of station locations based on data sources available (e.g., daily-only vs. daily and hourly vs. daily, hourly, and upper air data).
4. Set filters such as elevation--e.g., stations above xx elevation or below xx elevation; or filter based on query of data--e.g., precipitation above xx value.
• Integration of additional dynamic display features, such as display 2D or 3D contour maps of data, display 2D or 3D plots of data, overlays of data from two or more data sets and flex and Flash-based software utilization.
• ESRI ArcGIS and related software experience required
• Geospatial database experience required, with Oracle experience desired
• GIS Services development experience in a World Wide Web environment, required
• Unix and/or Linux experience required
• ESRI Geoportal Toolkit experience desired
• Flex software experience desired
• Flash software experience would be a plus
(Please Note: Required experience indicates a minimum of 3 years experience in that area, with greater than 5 years being desired).
Please send your resume, contact information for three (3) references and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com with the following subject heading: NCDC09001 – GIS Specialist.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Location: Asheville
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Sunday, May 3, 2009
The online course will, as always, require a very motivated and self-directed type learner. Is online right for you? Check out the A-B Tech Distance Education FAQ to answer your questions.
Classes begin May 26th and end August 4th.
This is a great opportunity to get started with the GIS Certificate at A-B Tech this summer. Once you get the Introduction to GIS class you'll be ready for the next 2 in the certificate.
Registration starts May 4th. Call or email to get signed up.
pkennedy ( at) abtech.edu
Monday, April 27, 2009
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Monday, March 30, 2009
Friday, March 27, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Friday, February 13, 2009